Support Specialist / Programmer, Committed to Sustainability
As the population rises, the climate changes, and critical resource thresholds are reached and exceeded, it’s becoming increasingly important for information systems to help us obtain and interpret data about people and organizations, in terms of both economic benefits and human and ecological health. This vision of the future is what drives us at Green River.
Incorporated in 2000, Green River is a custom web application development firm with a strong engineering focus, dedicated to social equity and environmental protection. We think of the internet as a societal nervous system—a growing global network of awareness and intelligence that we must put to good use. Helping to transform the market requires software skills, analytical experience, business sophistication, and a genuine commitment to ethics and social responsibility.
Our projects offer challenges in developing complex scalable algorithms and well-designed responsive user interfaces. We regularly evolve our approach to software development as new best practices emerge. Together, we’ve created a collaborative atmosphere in our company—shaping together the kind of work and lifestyle we want and fostering career paths through mentorship. This has resulted in exceptionally long-term relationships with both our clients and our staff.
We are a rapidly growing team of software engineers with project managers, user experience designers, graphic designers, and an office manager. Our current clients include Starbucks, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the State of Delaware, outstanding non-profit clients, the Cities of Boston and Springfield, MA, and many others. Our primary offices are in scenic Brattleboro, Vermont and we have distributed staff living and working around the country.
Green River's software support / programmer will work with our clients to determine the issues our customers are facing, figure out the underlying problem, solve technical problems, and work with the technical lead on the more complex issues.
We are transparent with our clients—we seek candidates who can take this on wholeheartedly, and like the rest of us, care deeply about our clients’ success. Success in this position requires knowledge about the process for developing web applications, and enthusiasm about learning programming skills. We look for team members who believe in working to make the world a better place, yet bring a grounded professionalism appropriate to our clients and the scale of our projects.
We’re looking for a team member who will:
- Gather information from users & troubleshoot issues
- Triage and help resolve urgent issues
- Enter issues in our internal work tracking system with sufficient detail, communicating a clear understanding of scope and effort to software developers
- Work with developers as questions arise
- Track and communicate progress on software issues to client
- Participate in team work sessions
- Participate in the testing of all software releases to ensure expectations are met
- Perform entry-level programming tasks, learning from other developers on the team
Skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Understanding of web application development processes
- Ability to communicate with technical and non-technical people
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, facilitation, and follow-through skills
- Some experience programming
- Comfort with change
Some things people love about working at Green River:
- Creative team who value a workplace where you can learn and laugh
- Long-term relationships with smart, engaged clients
We offer a competitive salary, 100% health insurance coverage, 5 weeks paid time off, and retirement benefits.
Please upload a cover letter and résumé at the job listing on LinkedIn. (You'll need to combine these into a single pdf.)
Green River is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with our beliefs and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Green River will not discriminate against employees or clients based on race, creed, color, ethnic origin, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or disability.
Get in Touch
167 Main Street, Suite 103
Brattleboro, VT 05301